Beyond the Trial and Tragedy: Grieving Three Children, A Father and A Mother in an Angry America

Admin Note: This post contains sensitive content, including discussion of suicide. Please respond with compassion, wisdom, and respect.

If you or someone you know is considering suicide or is in immediate danger, please seek help from a trusted person, pastor, mental health professional, or crisis service in your area.

Weeping

On January 24, 2023, an unthinkable tragedy happened. A five-year-old girl, a three-year-old boy, and an eight-month-old baby boy were strangled to death. Stop. Think about that for a moment. Three innocent children died. Consider this: Who is the most important person in a child’s life, the one they run to when hurting, scared, or in need? Mommy, Mama, Mom, Ma, Mother.

The person a child trusts to nurture, feed, help, and comfort is their mother. Yet this is the very person who took life from them, not in a quick, easy way, but slowly choking the breath from them. The breath of life left these three children, taken by the one who had brought them into this world, whom they loved, trusted, and admired more than anyone.

I love children. I’ve volunteered for decades, helping, teaching, and playing with children. Now I’m a father of two wonderful girls. Since they were babies, I’ve held them in my arms, read to them, played with them, fed them, and protected them. I cannot imagine ever being deprived of them. I would do anything, including sacrificing my own life, to protect my kids.

Nothing grieves me more, nothing breaks my heart more than children being harmed. I cannot comprehend how anyone could purposely murder a child.

Media

I’ve seen bits and pieces of the news, the social media posts, and the arguments. This country is mad with protests. People are fighting over a trial. I cannot comprehend the focus. Three beautiful, innocent children left this world. Yet people are fighting. Where is the grief, the lament, the sadness, the hurt? My eyes are full of tears as I write this. Three children died. I weep.

Is anyone else weeping?

A Father’s Loss

I’m a dad. I love my kids. That doesn’t just mean I feel warmth and affection. It means I sacrifice my time, my money, my attention, my very life for them. They are more precious to me than anything else in this world. I could not imagine life without my kids. Should anything happen to my children, I would be devastated.

When my nephew was eighteen months old, he stopped breathing. He was resuscitated and helicoptered to a hospital in Chicago, 60 miles away. My mom called me at work. I dropped everything and drove to the hospital, my heart breaking for my first nephew.

My cousin had an eighteen-month-old baby boy, Shawn. His babysitter did something you never ever do to a baby. In a fit of rage, she shook and threw him. He died a week later, on February 24, 1994. Though I had only met Shawn once, I had held him in my arms with only warmth and love in my heart. His death was painful.

On January 24, 2023, a father lost three children. I feel his pain. I would be devastated beyond comprehension.

Does anyone grieve for the Daddy?

The Mommy

This mother tried to commit suicide. She was in such pain that she thought it better not to live. She was afraid to raise her kids and thought it better they should not live than be raised wrong. You can debate her sanity. For myself, I don’t understand how a mother could do such a thing to her kids and herself. I grieve.

My dearest friend committed suicide in my house. He had not properly grieved the loss of his own mother. He was delusional and paranoid. I had gotten him to agree to attend a day program for counseling, but then he wrecked his car. In the hospital, doctors convinced him to admit himself for psychological treatment. He left with a plan: live in my spare room and attend the day program.

I went to work. A mutual friend checked on him and found him unconscious. He had taken all his prescription pills. Doctors pronounced him dead on arrival.

That was over twenty years ago. Still, I can’t understand why my friend was in so much pain that he would end his own life.

Why would a mother kill her own children? Why would she try to commit suicide? I don’t understand. I grieve.

Fighting

Our country is so divided. We were the greatest country in the world. We were the UNITED States of America.

Although we were divided over slavery, the war and its aftermath created a new sense of unity. Before the Civil War, people often said, “The United States are…,” treating the nation as a collection of states. Afterward, the phrasing shifted to “The United States is…,” signaling a single, indivisible nation. It wasn’t easy. Decades of political, social, and racial struggle followed as the nation figured out how to live out that unity.

I fear that is all ending. We seem more divided than ever, perhaps heading toward a new civil war. This trial is a further demonstration. No one is listening. People comment without knowledge. Instead of researching the truth, we react. We let the media tell us how to think. We already have our preconceived notions of what is right and respond accordingly.

It breaks my heart that when children die, we don’t pause as a nation to grieve. Instead, we fight.

We mask the pain by blaming:

We blame the mother.

We blame the father.

We blame the medical profession.

We blame the justice system.

We do anything to avoid looking at our own hearts.

Are our consciences so seared that we would rather fight than grieve? What is wrong with our nation? We should have stopped, lowered our flags, and declared a day of mourning and fasting. We should bend our knees to our Creator and beg forgiveness that our country has strayed so far from our God-given purpose that a mother would kill her babies.

When will we weep over our country? When will we look inside and repent of the evil within our own hearts?

I grieve for our country, and I pray. Will you join me, or will you continue striving and fighting, further dividing our nation?

It is not just America, every country in the world has stories of cruel, evil deeds where violence and neglect harms the helpless.
This is the result of men and women rejecting God, his morality, his laws and doing what seems right in their sight.
What the world needs is Jesus. We live at a time when men call good evil and evil good.

I agree. It is a broken world because we have rejected our creator and his way of love. Thanks for commenting.

Welcome,@BobRichley. I think you posted two separate topics, yet the answer is similar for both. Basically, the answer is the world’s view vs. God’s view. This may take a minute, so please bear with me. First Children: God’s view?

“Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one’s youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.” Psalm 127:3-5

“Grandchildren are the crown of the aged, and the glory of children is their fathers.” Proverbs 17:6

Jesus?

“See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that in heaven their angels always see the face of my Father who is in heaven." Matthew 18:10

"But Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven.” Matthew 19:14

The world? Children can be slaughtered before they are even born. If they are deemed inconvenient or a nuisance to the mother, all good. There are places around the world where kids are thrown away, sold, abused, etc. Why? They are not important. After generations, over and over again, further and further away from God, you get what you have now. Life means little; children even less.

Then you have America. Abortion is not the only sin that America is justifying. We have opened the floodgates of acceptability to attack, mock, and make fun of anything Christian and even the Religion itself. Any other Religion in this country that does not have Christ in it? Well, they are still very much protected. Speak out on one of those, and you can be charged with Hate Crimes.

But Jesus? Mock. Attack. Belittle those that believe? Denounce. Have at it. After all, in this country that was founded on the Bible, Presidents are sworn in on the Bible, “In God we trust” is on our money, our legal system is based on the Ten Commandments, we have built a “Wall.” All other religions are protected, but Christ and/or Christianity is open season? Well? The Devil need not worry about what is already his. Think about that.

Today? We do not even know who God is. We have removed Him from our schools. We have forbidden Him in government, and we have forbidden Him in public life. We attack those that have faith in God and the Gospels as a simpleton, racists, bigots, chauvinists, “Homophobes.” Who are just too stupid to understand what is best for them and the Country.

We live in a Country where we call sin good, and good Sin. We live in a country where we teach our young that from nothing came one single cell something, and from that, came all life as we know it today. Setting aside that the Theory of Evolution is both scientifically and mathematically impossible, there is no God.

Continued.

As a nation, we also violate the Ten Commandments daily.

1- Have no other god before God. “Who’s god? Believe in any god you want, but keep it at home. No one needs to hear about it.”

2- Do not commit Idolatry. Everyone wants to be famous with many “followers.” Self is growing and perhaps one of the most dangerous kinds of idolatry. Of course we also have a love of money. Banks have become like churches to some.

3- Do not take the name of the Lord your God in vain. “Who cares? It is just words. Come on. Get over yourself. We do not even believe there is a god to offend, so blank off.”

4- Remember the sabbath day and keep it Holy. “You mean I should not do anything on Saturday? Seriously? We work and live in a 24 / 7 society. Got to make that money. And that’s my party day."

5- Honour your Father and Mother, that your days may be long on the earth. “Says who? I did not ask to be born. I do not even know who my father is. When my mom gets old, I will help her out. You know, put her somewhere or something. You need to get with the current times.”

6- Do not murder. “You call it murder. I do not. We do not care what the Supreme Court says. We will fight to restore the right to murder, uh, abort unwanted children.”

7- Do not commit adultery. “What happens between two grown adults is their business. Not yours.”

8- Do not steal. “From who? Oh, that person that has billions and should just give it to others who cannot pay their growing electric bill? Yeah, I say take it.”

9- Do not lie. “Seriously? Come on. We have whole TV shows about lying AND cheating and doing whatever. Nothing wrong with certain lies. Again, get with today.”

10- Do not covet. “Keeping up with the Joneses is good and healthy. It gives us something to strive for. Something to work for.”

The further away from god we get, the worse it gets.

Homosexuality- Leviticus 18:1-5, 22-24, 29, Leviticus 20:13, Ezekiel 16:49-51, Romans 1:18-32, just to name a few.

Transgenderism- Deuteronomy 22:5, Romans 1:18-32, 1 Corinthians 11:14-15, 1 Thessalonians 4:3-5

Pedophilia - Mark 9:42, Luke 17:1-37, 2 Timothy 3:1-17, 1 Corinthians 5:1-6

Beastiality- Leviticus 18:19-30, Exodus 22:19

This is not a new concept, nor an idea. This is History. This happens all the time. When a nation forgets its foundations, it falls. When a nation turns it back on God, it falls.

Continued.

How much more do you think America will fall, being founded on the Gospel of Christ Himself?

Ezekiel 16:49-54

"Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride, excess of food, and prosperous ease, but did not aid the poor and needy. They were haughty and did an abomination before me. So I removed them, when I saw it.

Samaria has not committed half your sins. You have committed more abominations than they, and have made your sisters appear righteous by all the abominations that you have committed. Bear your disgrace, you also, for you have intervened on behalf of your sisters. Because of your sins in which you acted more abominably than they, they are more in the right than you. So be ashamed, you also, and bear your disgrace, for you have made your sisters appear righteous. “I will restore their fortunes, both the fortunes of Sodom and her daughters, and the fortunes of Samaria and her daughters, and I will restore your own fortunes in their midst, that you may bear your disgrace and be ashamed of all that you have done, becoming a consolation to them.”

And in Romans 1:18-32, a clear picture of America today.

"For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.

For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Claiming to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things. Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen.

For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error. And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done. They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless. Though they know God’s righteous decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but approve those who practice them."

We have false churches popping up all over the country, and online. This was predicted too.

“For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths.” 2 Timothy 4:3-4

Make no mistake about it: this is America today. We have “professed ourselves to be wise, and we have become fools.” We have not only failed “to retain God in our knowledge,” we have all but forbidden God from being in our Country. We have “changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.” We have “changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.” Not only has America accepted sin, but we have also justified it, and set up a process to attack anyone who chooses to speak out against it. Then we wonder why things are the way they are. When you remove God, something else always takes His place.

Be blessed, be a blessing, and Jesus is LORD!

Peter

I pray for and expect revival in our country. We need a movement of the Holy Spirit to convict us of our sins, bring us to repentance, and lead us to depend on Jesus’ sacrifice for forgiveness.

We all need to look inwardly. It is easy to point our fingers at others. I learned in recovery groups that I must take ownership. This means instead of blaming and pointing out another’s faults, I own my part. I confess what I did wrong. When Adam ate the forbidden fruit in Genesis 3, he blamed Eve. Eve blamed the snake. We’ve been blaming each other ever since. Adam should have taken ownership and acknowledged the issue, and we should as well.

Our world is full of hatred and division. It’s as if we feed on news that blames others for all our problems. It’s easy to point fingers rather than look inside our own hearts. We are ashamed of who we are, so we find others to blame to hide our own shame. I know I’m often guilty of this. I want to blame my wife or kids when I am the one at fault.

The world’s problems won’t be solved by fixing someone else. It will be solved when we allow ourselves to be fixed. No one, including myself, wants to look inside and see what’s wrong with ourselves. It’s easier to blame than look at our own shame.

May the Holy Spirit move in our hearts and in the hearts of our leaders, convict us of our sins and bring us to repent, to turn away from our sins and turn toward Jesus.