Did Judas Go to Heaven?

I’ve been reflecting on the story of Judas Iscariot and his role in the events leading up to Jesus’ crucifixion. It’s a complex and challenging part of the Bible, and it raises a difficult question: Did Judas go to heaven?

On one hand, Judas was one of Jesus’ twelve disciples, chosen to walk closely with Him during His ministry. But on the other hand, he betrayed Jesus, leading to His arrest and ultimately His crucifixion. After the betrayal, we know that Judas felt deep remorse and even tried to return the silver, but then tragically took his own life.

So, what does this mean for his eternal destiny? Does God’s mercy extend to Judas despite his actions, or did his betrayal seal his fate?

I’m curious to hear your thoughts, interpretations, and any scripture references that might shed light on this. It’s a tough question, and I’d appreciate any perspectives or insights that others might have on this topic. Thanks!

No, Judas did not go to heaven. And no, Judas’ betrayal didn’t seal his eternal fate. Let me explain: Judas didn’t go to heaven because, though he was filled with remorse, he didn’t repent and ask for God’s forgiveness. And Judas didn’t actually believe in Jesus; he just had proximity to Jesus.
Here’s an article that may help you in your understanding of this topic: Did Judas Repent? (gty.org)

1 Like

I seriously doubt it, as Jesus himself refers to Judas as “the son of perdition” in John 17:12 in the KJV.

1 Like

He says, “No”, but doesn’t give an explanation as to why exactly.

What does it mean when scripture says that Judas is “the son of perdition”?

Jesus said he kept all of them except for the one… Judas. So what does that mean exactly?

2 Likes

Cringe-worthy and contrived. The creepy music, doesn’t help.

Seriously-- does anyone find this sort explanation helpful? He states as fact, things impossible to know.

Yeah, I don’t see anywhere how he backed up his stance with scripture.

1 Like

He shared an opinion. He’d preserve a little credibility by presenting it as such.

2 Likes

Judas chose not to be honest and confess his sin to God. He chose to turn away and betray Christ, feeling remorseful but rejecting Christ’s gift to all of us: forgiveness. The devil tempted him to betray Christ. He gave in. I think, no, Judas did not go to Hell because he betrayed Christ. He went to Hell because he completely rejected Christ and never repented for his sin. He gave into greed and it was too late. And, God knew Judas would make that choice. The “son of perdition,” Judas, (John 17:12) had knowledge of salvation and chose to punish himself and reject God’s grace. So God knew Judas would not be redeemed for that reason. I think that is why Judas did not go to Heaven.

2 Likes

That definitely is a good way of putting it… one can then safely say, “No, Judas didn’t go to hell for betraying Christ.”

I totally agree with you. That’s my stance on the issue.