I will stick around awhile

I have been here over a month, so time for an introduction. I have neuropathy, which causes mistyping so please excuse any spelling errors in my posts I may have overlooked.

I am retired due to cancer, but my diagnosis is much better than the one I got a year ago, thanks to new immunotherapy drugs now available.

I find most television to be boring, and prefer reading books.

I try to live the beatitudes, but it isn’t easy!

I am a historian, and American religious movements are my area of concentration. I examine change over time in American expressions of Christianity- from Puritans to the mega church movement, as well as cult growth in the 19th, 20th, and early21st centuries.

As a former professor, I find AI to be the biggest friend a cheater or plagiarizer could have. Writing skills are plummeting as students have Ai research and write papers for them.

3 Likes

I’m a huge history nerd and am jazzed because where we live is near one of the major battles of the Civil War.

I just finished reading “When the Sea Came Alive” by Garrett M. Graff and not long before that finished “The Nazi Conspiracy” by Brad Meltzer and Josh Mensch.

Great to have you here professor.

1 Like

You may enjoy a book entitled “Gods Almost Chosen People” which examines how both Union and Confederacy believed their causes were ordained by God.

1 Like

I enjoy reading and learning about history, but I can never remember anything no matter how hard I try. No wonder history is my worst school subject. :slightly_smiling_face:

Memorizing dates is not too important just so you are in the right decade. I recommend making a timeline of events, and using it to keep events and people in sequential order.

Remember, why things happen is just as important as what happened. Most of the time there is a very long length of time in which events happened that lead to the event you are studying. And never look at things through your modern eyes. Find out what the world was like at that time, and events make more sense.

Hmmmmm :thinking:, I never thought of that. I’ll definitely try that method. Thanks! :smile:

1 Like