Should we have political discussions on forums?

Recently, a person asked the following questions in a political topic:
“Why do we have this topic on a site that should be devoted to finding and learning more about Jesus?”

My response:
While our primary focus is on faith and growing in our relationship with Jesus, discussing current events helps us apply biblical principles to the real-world issues we face today. Engaging with what’s happening in the world through the lens of our faith helps us live out Christianity in every area of life, just as Jesus calls us to do.

My question to you:
Do political and other non-biblical discussions belong on a Christian forum?

1 Like

I think they are important.
But, as anyone who has been forums for over ten minutes knows, even on Christian sites accusations and name calling along with judgements of one’s spiritual condition will begin, moderators are overworked, and people are banned. So, it is toss up as to allow it or not.

2 Likes

Another point : there are folks who will work politics into every. single. conversation. Much like your uncle at Thanksgiving dinner, taking any conversation off track.

2 Likes

I think they definitely belong on the forums. The reason why is because on here we not only should be learning more about Jesus and our Christian Walk, but also how to apply what we know to pressing issues, and everyday circumstances, which in other words is discipleship. My dad gave me a really good definition for discipleship: doing life together.

2 Likes

It can get sticky. But should honey be a banned topic, because it’s sticky? Or can mature adults discuss honey, knowing it’s sticky and knowing that some folks have very strong feelings about-- honey.

If it matters to people-- it matters to Christians. And it’s important for Christians to be engaged in society, in conversations, in the culture ‘wars’ and in the communities we live in. To quip-- all it takes for society to crumble is for good folks to do nothing.

1 Like

IF people are required to document information they give with recognized, credible sources. Election deniers and Covid deniers should be disallowed from spreading untruths on the forum.

I think as long as people adhere to the Terms of Service it will all work out in the end.

Moderators are not the truth police. All one needs to do to see how that ends up is look at Facebook.

1 Like

Here is our site disclosure:

Please bear in mind, the views expressed on Crosswalk Forums do not necessarily reflect those of Salem Web Network (SWN) or its staff. However, open discussion is welcomed as long as it adheres to our Terms of Service and does not serve as a platform for the excessive promotion of teachings contrary to scripture as understood by evangelical Christianity.

Regarding your TOS…

Let’s use an example of a topic generally considered by many to be contrary to scripture as understood by evangelical Christianity.

Can such topics be discussed here?

The problem is that there isn’t really any consensus position that can be definitively called “evangelical Christianity’s position.” Mormons consider themselves to be wholly Christian. Non-trinitarian, but then so are Jehovah’s Witnesses, Unitarians, Assembly of God and Christadelphians, to name a few.
Seventh Day Adventists believe that Jesus is actually Michael the archangel or vice versa and so on…

How does this site determine if a topic is simply being discussed and not serving as a platform for excessive promotion?

I despise censorship in all its forms.

It would then fall under the #18… at SWN’s own discretion.

However, we have the original Range of Doctrines we used in the old days.

I’ll dust it off, update the terminology, and publish it for those who like to read such things.

I’ve got to shoot some video today so it probably won’t be until next week. Sorry!

In the old days the range of doctrines was the old testament and everyone was Jewish.

Jesus came and taught— “You have heard, but I say…”

Always be willing to change.

I added the Range of Doctrines to the FAQ

I still need to “prettify it”. But it is readable for those interested.

If I am not in agree with a few of the above listed interpretations, should I leave or just it avoid those discussions?

Have you ever watched Pirates of the Caribbean?

No, if I did I don’t remember the plot.

They have what’s called the Pirate code that some treat as a rule book…

One of the main characters sets them straight on the importance of the code:

The Range of Doctrines is kinda like that… a guideline more than a harsh rule book. It has to be in a forum where people are expected to engage in discussion on topics they disagree one.

1 Like