What is a good morning prayer to start the day?

Hey everyone,

I’ve been thinking a lot about how important it is to start the day with a little moment of peace and connection with God. I know it’s not always practical and sometimes we forget as we run out the door, but it makes a huge difference in our outlook for the day. Praying in the morning helps us release any burden, anxiety, or grief before the day even starts! It helps me center myself on God’s truths and promises, knowing he truly does care about me and wants to guide me.

Here are a few things I like to remember each morning when I pray and ask God for help:

1. thankfulness and gratitude - start off by thanking God for a new day and the blessing of LIFE. Psalm 100:4: “Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name.”

2. for guidance and wisdom - we face so many decisions in a day, ask God to give you understanding. Proverbs 3:5-6: “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.”

3. strength and courage - it’s so easy to get overwhelmed by what the world throws at us but we serve a mighty God who we can lean on in times of need. * * Joshua 1:9: “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”

4. Protection and safety - I always pray that God will protect my family as the come and go throughout the day. Both physical protection from harm and spiritual protection from the ways Satan tempts us away from God’s will. * Psalm 91:11: “For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways.”

5. for forgiveness and renewed spirit - His mercies are new every morning! Confess your sins to God and clear your mind and heart for a fresh start. * * Psalm 51:10: “Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.”

6. to be a light in a dark world - YOU have the unique opportunity to be Jesus to those around you. You will be surprised just how much it is a blessing to bless others! * * Matthew 5:16: “In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.”

I’d love to hear how you start your day with God and any special prayers or routines that help you feel in-tune with God in the morning.

I also found this prayer on crosswalk’s morning prayers I wanted to share!

Prayer to Start the Day

Dear God, at the start of each day, help us to recognize you above all else. Enlighten the eyes of our hearts that we might see you and notice how you’re at work through our lives.

Give us wisdom to make the best choices, and fill us with a desire to seek after you more than anything else in this world. Let your Spirit and power breathe in us, through us, again, fresh and new.

Thank you that you are greater than anything we may face in our day. Thank you that your presence goes with us and that your joy is never dependent on our circumstances, but it is our true and lasting strength, no matter what we’re up against.

We ask that your peace lead us that it would guard our hearts and minds in you. We ask for your grace to cover our lives this day. We love you, Lord…we need you. In Jesus’ Name, Amen. - Debbie McDaniel

1 Like

I love waking up with this passage that I pray, personalizing it so I’m speaking with God.

Psa 103, 1-5
"Bless the LORD, O my soul; And all that is within me, bless His holy name!

Bless the LORD, O my soul, And forget not all His benefits:

Who forgives all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases,

Who redeems your life from destruction, Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies,

Who satisfies your mouth with good things, So that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s."

I pray for God’s blessings to be with you all day!
MimiSharon

2 Likes

Oh my goodness - Psalm 103 is my life passage after God literally healed me from disease and redeemed my life. You are a God send this morning :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like to use the prompts in YouVersion to get me started, but my prayers are all freeform. I start with praise and worship, then go over my prayer list. I always end with asking Jesus to align my will with His, and that His will be done. Some mornings I don’t do the list (except for one or 2 that are really pressing or time sensitive) and just worship and praise.

2 Likes

That’s quite a testimony to the Power and Grace we find in Christ! I love hearing this! Wow!

2 Likes

Oh i like prayer prompts! Good suggestion

I try to always pray before getting out of bed. But since I haven’t had coffee yet, I have to keep it simple! :rofl: So, most of the time I go with:

“Lord, let your will be done today in my heart, words, thoughts, and actions.”

I pray for mercy and God’s will to be done. In fact, this is the prayer I pray most often.

Here are 2 prayers for children from the New England Primer, 1699. I guess most know the evening prayer but the morning prayer is one of thanks and hope. Enjoy!

3 Likes

When waking up in the morning I love starting my day in prayer to God.

I first start with thanksgiving because I believe gratitude opens the doors.

Now more than ever I ask for strength, courage, and protection because of the times we are living in.

Forgiveness is also important to me because only Jesus is perfect.

And to be a light in this dark world is what its all about.

Being an example of Jesus to others around me.

I pray that all of you are blessed and strengthened by God today.

I speak blessing over you all.

Amen.

When I have my morning prayer time every day, I usually start with Psalm 143:8:

Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love,
for I have put my trust in you.
Show me the way I should go,
for to you I entrust my life.

2 Likes