Hi Willow,
I’ve read most responses here and would like to embrace a more practical stance. Rather embracing the theological stance.
I have a Catholic friend who has become a more devote “Christian” with age.
Let me explain, when I first met Mary, she simply believed in God, scripture, purgatory, praying to saints, transubstantiation of communion, that Mary will always be a virgin, etc. Her beliefs did not impact her life. She prayed the Lord’s Prayer when she prayed. She did not seem to have a Relationship with her Creator, but with her church.
The Mary I know now is very different. While her knowledge of Scripture is still that of a new believer, she holds fast to SOME of the beliefs, like Transubstantiation.
Her prayers indicate a relationship with her Creator and she participates in the extra activities of her church. She has thrown herself, her time and money, into standing against abortion. Not just because her church is against it but she personally is.
I’ve noticed she no longer speaks of Mary as some god to revere and worship. Her prayers are filled with Father: adopted daughter relationship with God. She no longer believes it’s a sin to not attend church. She does not attend confessional.
Her life has been changed. And I see a relationship with God, her Creator, as more important to her than being a good Catholic.
I, on the other hand, have told her, in the beginning of our relationship, that she was not a Christian, and would not be going to heaven because she did not accept Jesus into her life. She did not have what seemed to me a relationship with God. I was judgmental towards her and her faith as my Protestant beliefs were to convert her out of the traditions of Catholicism.
But latter in our relationship I realized my judgementalism was wrong and I was required to live my relationship with my God in front of her and others. I call it “trust and obey.”
I go with her to church when I visit.
Her priest’s “sermons” remain shallow, my POV, I do prefer a Voddie Baucham sermon, I don’t partake in communion but I do like some of the tradition of the Catholic Church service. I’m not into how some of the Protestant church’s try to have a mini rock n roll concert before the sermon. I enjoy the traditional Protestant service.
I once debated with Mary regarding her faith, altho it usually was one sided and along the way we both changed.
The Angican’s have a high church service, those that lean toward Pentecostalism (that I attended in England), which I would be grateful for.
As a new believer, I would strongly suggest you get an apologetics book and begin to read it alongside your Bible or a good Study Bible that explains what you are reading and has a good preface to each book of the Bible. Understanding where each book enters into history, who it speaks to, what the purpose is of the book, etc is very important to one’s understanding of God in history and how the Bible relates to us today.
Don’t worry about the debate on Protestantism and Catholicism join a Bible study group and learn. Pray as if speaking to your Father in heaven, He longs to hear you.