Same-Sex Weddings: How Should Christians Respond?

Same-Sex Weddings: How Should Christians Respond?

The topic of same-sex weddings continues to stir discussions within the Christian community. Recently, Becket Cook shared his thoughts on Amy Grant’s decision to host her niece’s same-sex wedding, a move that has sparked debate among believers. As Christians, how should we navigate these situations, balancing love and compassion with adherence to biblical teachings?

What are your thoughts on how Christians should respond when faced with invitations to or involvement in same-sex weddings?

For more insight, check out this Lifeaudio episode: Becket Cook Discusses Amy Grant Hosting Niece’s Same-Sex Wedding.

*Photo Credit: ©Getty Images/Geoff Goldswain*

Don’t go. If you are a Christian, don’t go. If your niece or other family member invites you to their same-sex wedding, don’t go. Why? Because if you don’t show up, they’ll see how serious you take this. They’ll see that as a Christian, a follower of Christ, you absolutely cannot support this. But if you do show up, they’ll say, “Oh, so you can be a Christian and still support this.” Read 2Co 6:15. It sums up everything I just said.

1 Like

Do you attend weddings of previously married but now divorced people? Baby showers for mothers of illegitimate children? Whether you do or not should guide you in your decision.

I recently attended my brother’s wedding. He and his now wife were both divorced and remarrying. I wanted to be there to support him and show my nephews that I am there for them and present in their lives.

My ultimate belief is that you can hold and be clear about your convictions, but the nonbeliever will be most impacted by how you treat them. If you show love and support for them as a person even as you disagree, I think they’re more likely to have a future heart change because they saw you, a Christian, loving as Christ loved. Jesus befriended the sinner. He talked to the woman at the well. He touched lepers and talked to social outcasts. He didn’t remove His presence in order to get His point across. He built a relationship with them and was kind, even as He showed them their flaws. If we don’t have a Christian presence in those areas (same-sex weddings, weddings that are remarriages, etc.), we come off as self-righteous and judgmental, and that ultimately is a reflection on all of Christianity.

3 Likes

Well put! I attended the wedding of a dear friends son who was marrying a man. No one from her church was attending. Even folks who had known him his whole life. I think my attendance salved over some of that hurt. I certaiyrespect those who believe it is wrong to attend, but I have seen the difference it can make.

I am old enough to remember people being removed from church membership for some sins but not others. We love to say all sins are the same in the eyes of God but we really don’t believe it. We pick and choose depending on our “ick” response.

1 Like

I don’t agree with you, and neither does God. 1Thessalonians 5:22 says, “abstain from every form of evil.” What is evil? Sin. What is sin? Rebellion against God. God has showed me that what you believe doesn’t change what’s actually true. In other words, you can’t change the color of the sky by denying that it’s blue and staring at the ground. I would also add to my previous statement that we should clearly explain why we are not going to the wedding before going. And Jesus hanging around sinners, touching lepers, and talking to social outcasts is not even on the same level as attending a same-sex wedding. If it were, Jesus wouldn’t have done it. Why? Because it would be sin, and He can’t sin. Read Ezekiel 33:1-17. Prayerfully, it helps you understand why I said what I said. I’m not claiming to speak for God. I’m just telling you what He said. My words mean nothing apart from the authority of Christ. If you have a problem with what I said, take it up with Him. If my stance is wrong, He’ll convict me.

But you ARE speaking for God. And attempting to proof text. And proclaiming how others should react to situations where you know none of the participants. It isn’t working.

I knew a guy who would not have lunch with a coworker because the coworker was living with a woman without marriage. His reasoning was the same as yours.

I’m absolutely not speaking for God. And I’m definitely not proof texting; I’m telling exactly what He said in His written word, The Bible. That’s called ‘quoting.’ If you have a problem with what I (and God) said, take it up with God. Don’t argue with me about it. I’m just telling you what God said in His written Word. Until the Holy Spirit opens both of our eyes, we’re going to keep moving in circles. This is exactly what Satan wants.

Do you have the skills to interpret scripture for others? High school diploma? College education? Seminary degree? Decades of experience? Your posts on this topic don’t show it. Patching together scripture here and there to back up your opinion is dangerous

Oh, and the old “don’t argue with me, take it up with God” trope is wearisome and signals that you can no longer defend your view.

Look at the CONTEXT of the verses you are quoting.

Study the TIME in which it was written

Here’s another great article on the subject:

1 Like

Oh, I didn’t know that the Holy Spirit doesn’t have the power to interpret His own words :roll_eyes:. Believe me, I can totally defend my view. But I’m choosing not too.; I’m going to let the Holy Spirit do His own work, in His own way. By the way, Peter (the Apostle of Jesus) was a simple uneducated fisherman. In human terms, he was a nobody. But God gave him the Holy Spirit and used him to lead 3,000+ to Christ by using scripture. He never attended college. Furthermore, he had just received the Holy Spirit. And the educated Scribes and Pharisees couldn’t refute what He was saying. I’m willing to stand alone on my conviction, I know it’s true. All the ‘qualifications’ you mentioned are not qualifications at all. They’re unnecessary pride-boosters. The Holy Spirit is my qualification. So again, I say, “If you have a problem with what I said, take it up with Jesus Christ. Stop arguing with me.” Here I firmly stand.

Dude, you are breaking so many debate guidelines… your post could be an object lesson on how not to debate. Step back a bit and take some time to recalculate

I’m breaking so many debate rules because I’m not trying to debate. Why would I need to debate about a rule that’s been set in place by God? All I’m doing is quoting the very words of God. I’m letting Him speak for Himself. I don’t debate on Bible related issues. It’s unnecessary.

How righteous of you.

If you ever have someone you love and care about tell you they are gay you may see a bit that gay folks are real humans with emotions just like you and I. If they do as you say, they face a lifetime of loneliness or faking it in a marriage to the opposite sex. I have seen enough of those marriages fall apart. So many have been offered a boot out of the church door instead of compassion.

Try to have a little empathy and perhaps try quoting the Beatitudes in place of the scripture you have chosen. I won’t debate with you again. Peace unto you.

@Historyprof

Ding ding ding! :bell: :bell: :bell: You got it!

If they do as you say, they face a lifetime of loneliness or faking it in a marriage to the opposite sex. I have seen enough of those marriages fall apart.

I’d rather they face a lifetime of loneliness and turn to Christ than think that God supports blatant sin. And if those marriages fall apart, that’s because they’re not marriages.

Supporting sin is the same as denying Christ. And remember, “…whoever denies [Jesus] before men, [He] will also deny [the one who denied Jesus] before My Father who is in heaven.” One more question, "when the Son of Man comes, will He find [faithful Christians] on the earth?” (Brackets mine).

Okay, this is seriously the last question. Why are you guys who’ve been Christians for such a long time always devaluing the words of those who haven’t been Christians for so long? I have the same Holy Spirit yall have. With Him, there is neither Jew, Greek, slave, or non-slave; We are all one in Christ. No hard feelings, just a question and a statement.

Because you are obnoxious and woefully inadequate in interpreting scripture.

Not all young people are like this. Having taught college for a long time, I occasionally have a student like you. You want to teach and preach without adequate knowledge or training. This attitude causes people to think of one scripture you have yet to quote.

And what scripture would that be?